Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am considering doing contract work, what is next?

I am considering taking a contract job.

1 - Do I need to form a LLC or business to do contract work (self employed)?

2 - What do I need to provide the contracted employer?

3 - What taxes do I need to prepare to file? Or can I just pay my taxes along with my annual tax preparation?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

I am considering doing contract work, what is next?

An LLC is a separate legal entity, but the IRS doesn’t consider it a separate tax entity, so you may want to consult a lawyer on the legal implications of an LLC.  From the IRS viewpoint a single member LLC is called a disregarded entity and is still taxed the same as a sole proprietor, unless you make an election to be taxed as a corporation using form 8832.

The contract employer usually requires a form W-9.  They may also require other non-tax related documentation like a certificate of insurance, or company specific required documents.

Our tax system is “as you go” so you will want to estimate your profit quarterly, and pay based on that estimate.  You’re responsible for all of your FICA – Social Security and Medicare – along with income tax on your profit.

Determining what to pay and when is crucial to avoid penalties and interest on underpayment of tax.  Here is a great resource on how to pay estimated taxes.

When you file your 1040 tax return at the end of the year, if you didn’t make the entity election to be taxed as a corporation, you will file a Schedule C along with your 1040.

TurboTax will guide you through the entries required to generate this form with these steps.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies