Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How would a fleeting viral songs' income affect someone on disability?

NOT saying i'm that good or anything, but i'm on permanent disability and cannot jeopardize its insurance. but say i also have some recorded songs on youtube or elsewhere that for some reason takes off for a week or two and earns more money than what my disability allows for. what would/should i do about that? is there a way to receive that one or two time payment and have it NOT affect my disability?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @SyberKnight ! 

This is not really a tax question, but the short answer is no, there is no way to collect YouTube income and escape the eyes of the Social Security Administration. Google is required by United States tax laws to collect certain tax-related information from some publishers. If you're required to provide tax information, details will be available on the "Payments > Settings" page in your AdSense account. Google is going to send you a 1099 if you earn more than $600, and they will also send a copy to the IRS.

You may want to contact the Social Security Administration with this question. Here is a link to a helpful SS Administration resource: 

Working While Disabled: How We Can Help

That being said, I would love to hear your songs 🙂

If this post answered your question (or at least pointed you in the right direction), please give it a thumbs up. Thanks for reaching out! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks for your reply.

to clarify, i rely on my disability insurance & absolutely can't loose that. so you're saying that if i feel well enough one day (not often) and decide to record myself singing a song, & upload that to Youtube... "IF" it happens to get enough views to generate more than what i'm allowed to earn in 1 month, then i'll loose my disability status?

that doesn't seem right to me. it's not like i got well enough to get a job. it's a fluke thing, not a monthly paycheck.

thx.

carolineb
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @SyberKnight , 

Again, not a tax question, however, I feel your pain as my husband is a disabled US Marine who also has his good days and his bad days. Please contact the Social Security Administration for further information about Reporting Changes to Work and Income 

Best of luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank you 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies