Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file using TurboTax software with Reciprocity Agreements

I currently live in PA but work for employers in NJ (one as a W-2 and the other as a 1099-NEC), and the two states have an income tax reciprocity agreement such that I do not have to file or pay income taxes for both states - only one. For my state return, how do I answer the tax filing questions on TurboTax online to reflect this, and for my federal return, how do I answer the questions such that the TurboTax software doesn't double tax my income? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

As a worker in a reciprocal state, you can fill out that state's exemption form(https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/nj165.pdf  and give it to your employer if you don't want them to withhold taxes for your work state- NJ. If you do this, make sure your employer also withholds taxes for your resident state- PA, otherwise you may get hit with underpayment penalties come tax time.

If your employer does not withhold NJ taxes, then you need to file only your resident sate PA return.

If your employer has withheld taxes for NJ instead of PA, you'll have to file for a refund from your work state. You'll still file your resident return that also includes that income and pay tax on it.

In TurboTax, always start working on your non-resident state first.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-payments/state-reciprocal-agreement/... 

@JH0412 Thanks for the question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response, and my employers already do not withhold NJ taxes, but my question is also about how to answer the questions that the TurboTax software asks when trying to file those taxes so that the result is accurate (e.g. how to fill out the compensation summary section etc). Please advise, thank you.

SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

@JH0412 In the federal section, under personal info, you will have to select your resident state PA.  For the question," Did you make money in any other states", you would say no. You only need to file PA resident return as there are no NJ withholdings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies