Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I maximize the deductions for my side gigs?

I have a foreign language teaching side gig (travel to a school once a week) as well a farmers market side gig. How can I maximize my deductions?

-The farmer's market side gig is a registered business, where as the teaching side gig is not. 

-Both incur traveling costs. For the registered business, I think I can add them with the profits. How can I add these for the teaching business?

-What are some steps to maximize my deductions for both gigs?

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RSUMan
Employee Tax Expert

How do I maximize the deductions for my side gigs?

Keep track of your mileage.  Keep track of your out of pocket expenses.

The major problem I see with side gig filers is they do not track expenses and then are surprised to learn that in general, there is a 15.3 percent Self Employment Tax on the Schedule C profit.

The signage and flyers and supplies for a farmer's market gig add up.

Keep a file folder and throw receipts in it.

Set aside a time each month (for example, third Sunday from 3 to 5 PM) and collate the receipts on a cover sheet.  This is your monthly board meeting; you are running a business.

There are apps that will help you track mileage.

Put in your calendar for Decenber 27 through 31 of each year to take a picture of your vehicle odometer.

It shows competence when the tax return has the beginning and ending mileage of the vehicle and then we can breakdown between business use and personal miles.

Thank you for teaching and providing fresh food; it makes the world a better place.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies