Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get Turbotax to release passive income losses for an investment that has closed inside a 1120-S entity that is still operational.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Jackstar221
Employee Tax Expert

How do I get Turbotax to release passive income losses for an investment that has closed inside a 1120-S entity that is still operational.

Hi,

A passive loss is reported on your individual schedule K-1.  Each year the passive losses incurred should flow through to each year's K-1, even if the if you hold onto the investment. After that, each shareholder will use their K-1s to show what part of the passive loss may be used on their 1040.

There won't be suspended passive losses at the S Corp level. I suggest reviewing the K-1s from prior years, it should have been reported on the K-1's from prior years. In the current year, when the investment is closed out, only the current year passive loss, as well as related gain/loss on the disposition of the investment would be reported on K-1 for the current tax year.

Great question regarding K-1's, here is an article regarding how to enter a K-1 in TurboTax: 

TurboTax Where to enter a schedule K-1 that I received 

K M W
Employee Tax Expert

I believe you are referring to section 469 limits, which generally speaking limits the amount of losses, deductions, and credits that shareholders can claim from "passive activities".  However, the passive activity limitations do not apply at the corporate level - they apply to each shareholder's share of corporate income and loss.

If an S Corporation does have a passive loss in any given year, it would be reported on that year's K-1 and there is specific information that needs to be reported on the Schedules K and K-1.  Note that the S Corp would not hold onto those passive losses year after year; rather, each year the passive losses incurred should flow through to each year's K-1, even if the investment is still held by the S Corporation.  Then, each shareholder will use their K-1 to determine what part of the passive loss may be utilized on their personal tax return.  

As for your question on how to get TurboTax to release what sounds like suspended passive losses - there should not be suspended passive losses at the S Corp level.  I would recommend you review your prior years' S Corporation returns and corresponding K-1's - each year that there was a passive loss at the S Corporation level, it should have been reported on the K-1's in those years.  So, in the current year, when the investment is closed out, only the current year passive loss (and any corresponding gain/loss on the disposition of the investment) would be reported on the current year's K-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies