Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full time W2 with small 1099 income

Hello. My husband and I file our taxes together for our W2 jobs in FL each year. Both of our jobs file income taxes quarterly and we have our withholding set to a higher amount than is required. We also receive 1099 income, but the additional withholding for our W2 jobs more than covers the taxes we would owe from our 1099 side business. Should we still be sending separate quarterly filings ourselves for the 1099 income? Or does the additional withholding from our W2 jobs have that covered? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

I want to commend you on going ahead and doing the math to see what your current tax position.  Pre-planning is super important when you are earning money when self-employed.  If your self-employed net income is not significant, I often advise clients to adjust their Form W-4, which  you both have done, which again is great planning.   So, if your calculations are showing that you are well withheld go with that.  You do not want to significantly overpay by paying more taxes at this point. 

Thank you for your question @Sgreenwood12  and kudos on a job well done in planning ahead.  

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

I want to commend you on going ahead and doing the math to see what your current tax position.  Pre-planning is super important when you are earning money when self-employed.  If your self-employed net income is not significant, I often advise clients to adjust their Form W-4, which  you both have done, which again is great planning.   So, if your calculations are showing that you are well withheld go with that.  You do not want to significantly overpay by paying more taxes at this point. 

Thank you for your question @Sgreenwood12  and kudos on a job well done in planning ahead.  

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies