Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign property and potential benefit if I depreciate

I have a foreign property in my home country in Europe which I'm currently renting. My question is: is it really beneficial to start depreciating for the 30 years allowed? If so, what if after a few years of renting it I decide to live there by myself, or if I pass it to my children. If the benefit of depreciation is not sufficiently great it seems easier to not depreciate.

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

Foreign property and potential benefit if I depreciate

Depending on your income level, the depreciation deduction that you claim for your rental property may help to reduce your taxable income and the taxes you pay in the current tax year.

For high income taxpayers the depreciation deduction may result in suspended losses, which you carry forward from year to year until you either eventually sell the rental property or your rental property becomes profitable.

Another thing to consider is that, at the time, you sell the property, the IRS will expect you to recapture the depreciation that you were entitled to deduct, regardless of whether you claimed the deduction or not. For that reason, I recommend claiming the depreciation deduction even if you do not see a benefit in the current year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies