Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For a business, is there ever a situation where 1099s need to be filed for purchasing a physical item?

For a business, is there ever a situation where 1099s need to be filed for purchasing a physical item?

I would like to understand when to use a 1099 for this:

"File Form 1099-NEC or Form 1099-MISC to report sales totaling $5,000 or more of consumer products to a person on a buy-sell, a deposit-commission, or other commission basis for resale.

From page 7 of the 1099 IRS instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099mec.pdf

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

A buy-sell or deposit-commission means the buyer gets to keep part of the money as compensation for services.  

The IRS code section that explains this in section 6041A(b)(2)(B) .  

Since the buyer may get to keep part of the money for services rendered it counts as income.  The IRS wants a record of the transaction.  

Example:  You make widgets and we agree that I will sell them for you, but I'm not an employee.  We agree that I will pay you $1 each, but can sell them for up to $1.10 each, but don't have to pay you until I sell them.  When I sell them you get your $1 each and I keep whatever I got over that amount.  If during the year the total amount you sold me equals $5,000 or more, you would issue me a 1099.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

A buy-sell or deposit-commission means the buyer gets to keep part of the money as compensation for services.  

The IRS code section that explains this in section 6041A(b)(2)(B) .  

Since the buyer may get to keep part of the money for services rendered it counts as income.  The IRS wants a record of the transaction.  

Example:  You make widgets and we agree that I will sell them for you, but I'm not an employee.  We agree that I will pay you $1 each, but can sell them for up to $1.10 each, but don't have to pay you until I sell them.  When I sell them you get your $1 each and I keep whatever I got over that amount.  If during the year the total amount you sold me equals $5,000 or more, you would issue me a 1099.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

That's extremely helpful. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies