turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

w2 and 1099
Returning Member

Food deduction for 1099 house call nuse practioner.

I have 2 jobs and one is W-2 and 2nd job is 1099. I know there is a deduction for a meal for 1099 workers. In my case, since I don't have lunch time specifically, I usually do food shopping and prepare food at home and eat at the car. I keep my receitps for food shopping though. How can I have meal deduction in this case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Food deduction for 1099 house call nuse practioner.

Hi W2 and 1099,

Thank you for the hard work you do as a traveling nurse.  You are amazing.  As far as your 1099 gig, you will report on a 1040, Schedule C.  You should be entitled to claim your meals while working.  As far as preparing them at home and then eating while working, I have not had IRS to verify on this matter so it is my thought that they don't review it unless they think the meal expense was not during work time.  In addition to the meal expenses, you want to keep a good mileage log for your traveling nurse.  The IRS would like you to keep a beginning year log odometer and end of year odometer reading.  Writing it down or a picture is sufficient.  Turbo Tax is great software for keeping your tax returns and every year you use it, it will remember you and you can edit your profile and other life situations.  Hopefully my information has been helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies