Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time dealing with Adoption Credit...Help pls

My wife and I are looking to adopt a domestic US-born child. We haven’t identified a child yet, but we are hopefully we will identify and adopt a child soon. So far, we have incurred adoption related expenses in 2023 and 2024.

We started the adoption journey in Jan 2023. We have incurred approx. $8K of adoption expenses in 2023 and approx. $4K of adoption related expense so far in 2024.

Question:

• can we deduct the expenses and/or receive the adoption credit for 2023?
  • can we deduct the expenses and/or receive the adoption credit for 2024?
  • Could the credit be taken away by the IRS if we never identify a child or finalize adoption?
  • Looking at my tax situation for 2023, I expect to receive a small refund for 2023. Will I receive the adoption credit as a refund for 2023?
  • What other things do I need to know about adoption credit?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

First time dealing with Adoption Credit...Help pls

Congratulations!  The adoption credit is a non-refundable credit.  The maximum credit for 2023 is 15,950 and phases out if your income gets too high.  A non-refundable credit means that it can be used to reduce your tax liability, but once that is at zero, you don’t get the rest as a refund.  You can carry it over to the next year for up to five years.  

• The expenses for a domestic adoption paid before the year the adoption becomes final are allowable as a credit for the year after payment even if it never becomes final.
  • Yes, you can take the credit for multiple years.  The timing will depend on if the adoption is finalized in 2024.
  • A domestic adoption does not have to be finalized in order for the expenses to be counted as a credit. 
  • It’s a non-refundable credit.  Please make sure the expenses you claim towards the credit are qualified expenses.

Please see this handy IRS topic overview for some great information.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies