Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

financed expenses lasting more than one year

If you have an expense that you finance - for example some construction work done, remodelling or repairs, and the payment for this work spreads over 2 or more years. How do i go about writing off the expense? Do i write it off when i acquired the debt or do i write off every months payments etc?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

financed expenses lasting more than one year

The cost of an asset includes the amount you pay in cash, debt obligations, other property, or services. See IRS Pub 946. For example, if you purchase a tractor by paying $10,000 cash as a down payment and you take out a $90,000 loan for the remainder, then the cost of the tractor is $100,000.

You would be able to depreciate the full $100k cost over time, or, depending on circumstances, elect to take a Section 179 expense for the whole amount in the year that you purchased the tractor.

Other costs associated with the tractor would be deducted in the year they are incurred. For instance, repairs/maintenance, loan interest, registration and personal property taxes, fuel, insurance, etc.

Whether you can deduct ("write off") the entire cost at once or you must capitalize it (take a depreciation expense over time) depends on what kind of asset it is, if it is used for business purposes, the cost of the asset, and, in some cases, what your business's profit is before you deduct the cost of the new asset. 

You can find more information about what kinds of assets can be deducted / depreciated in these articles:

Thank you for participating in this event!

-- KimberW

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies