Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JAC27

Filling out a W4P correctly

I'm single and just retired this past Feb.

1.  I have worked until Feb2, taxes have been taken out of my salary income according to the W-4.

2. Then I retired Feb2, so my income for the rest of the year will come from Social Security, Pensions, and IRA.

3.  I have submitted a W-4V for taxes to be taken out for Social Security.

4. I'm trying to figure out the W-4P for my 2 pensions.   I used the www.irs.gov/W4app calculator.  Result gave me no taxes.  Pensions don't amount to too much.  So I filled out W4-P checking off "single" , didn't enter anything in Step2 and entered 0 in Step 3 and 4.  Question:  How can I fill this out so they take out taxes as I want to "claim" 0.  Did I do it right?

5. I have taxes taken out for my IRA distribution using W4-V.

Thank you for any feedback.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
smcknight
Employee Tax Expert

As the tool you used suggested no withholdings based on the information provided, I suggest you select the option on the form W-4P (Line 4C) in Step 4 to have an additional amount withheld if you are adamant about having Federal taxes withheld on your Pension.  Step 3 may not apply to your situation. Make sure that you included all income in your calculations. 

Thank you for joining us today and have a great rest of your day!
SMcKnight, EA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer.”

Terri Lynn
Employee Tax Expert

Hello and good afternoon, JAC27!

Filling out the form W-4P can seem a bit tricky when you have multiple pensions and other sources of income.

The most important part of filling out this form accurately comes in Step 2 (b)(ii) and step 4 (a). 

• In Step 2, look at line (b)(ii), this is where you will need to enter the total amount of all the other pensions and income from other jobs from yourself and your spouse. 
  •  In Step 4, look at line(a), this is where you will need to enter the total amounts of any other taxable income that is not from a job or pension, including your taxable Social Security income.

For additional information and resources, please click below:

Thank you for joining us today and have a great rest of your day!

Terri Lynn, EA

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer.”

Terri Lynn H.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies