Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

filing taxes for deceased relative

Hello,

I filed an extension for 2023 taxes for my uncle who passed away and still cannot find his social security 1099.  I don't believe he would owe any taxes or be due a refund and wondered if I even have to file taxes for him.  He passed away in March of 2024, so I may confront the same issue next year. Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
evelynm
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend you get his tax records and transcript for 2023.   The transcript will show what was reported to him for Social Security and any other reportable items like interest income.  As the personal representative of a deceased person, you should be able to request information from the IRS.   Here is the link to get started:   Request deceased persons tax records

The next step would be to request the transcripts:   IRS Transcripts

You can use the transcript information to prepare his tax return to determine if filing is required.

Have an amazing day. Evelyn M (CPA 20+ years)
I would love a thumbs up 🙂 + Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
quorumof1

Sorry for your loss

Here's 2023 tax filing requirements with 2024 being nearly identical. Please take note that it refers to taxable income and social security under a certain range would not be taxable.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/check-if-you-need-to-file-a-tax-return 

Taxes on Social Security 

If under the filing requirement then a 2023 tax return will not be required.

For 2024, it would be good form to file regardless and print deceased at the very top of form 1040. This will alert the IRS of final filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies