Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing quarterly taxes

I have worked for Spark & DoorDash. I know that I have paid what I owe to the IRS for the 2023 tax year via the IRS direct pay website which was $57 however I did not finish filing for that tax year after doing so, hopefully that won’t penalize me. For 2024 from Jan 1st to May 5th I made a total of $2,866.72 working for Spark delivery, that’s without deducting expenses. For 2024 from Jan 1st to Mar 31st I made a total of $302.58 working for DoorDash, without deducting expenses. I no longer work for either of the companies & now have government employment which requires filing a standard W2. Should I be filing quarterly taxes for the money I made while working for Spark delivery & DoorDash? What tools would you recommend using in order to get a precise amount that I owe to the IRS & state? Thanks a million!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
emina
Employee Tax Expert

Filing quarterly taxes

Hello and thank you for joining us today!

Congrats on your new government job!

Your self employment income before expenses doesn't seem a lot but it is hard to estimate how much your taxes will be solely on that info and not knowing what your income from your w2 job will be. There will be self employment taxes applied on the total profit from the SE income. Estimated tax payments are suggested if you expect to owe more than 1k on your taxes. At least one ES payment is recommended in this case as your 1099 jobs ended. SE tax rate is 15.3% and we should also consider marginal tax rate plus state tax (as a separate payment liability). I would suggest making sure your withholding for your w2 job are proper based on your filing status, dependents, etc.
It is possible that if your w2 withholding is high enough that it may cover the SE taxes for this amount. New job withholding tables don't account for earnings from other sources and generally under withhold, so completing an accurate w4 with your employer is important. If you do not have any federal taxes withheld from your paycheck, this may cause a balance due on your tax return, not only for SE tax but also federal tax on your total income, plus any state taxes if applicable.

You may use TaxCaster to estimate your taxes/refund: LINK

Also IRS tax withholding estimator: LINK2

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies