Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal (and MN State) unemployment tax refund

(Sorry if this is a repeat)

I realize there is a priority system for receiving Federal (and MN State) unemployment tax refunds, but should I be concerned about not receiving any direct communication at all (or refund, ultimately) regarding this?  My wife and I filed 2020 taxes jointly, and she had over $20k of unemployment income taxed.  I called the IRS at least twice over past few months, and they said it is still being processed?  (And I'm not sure when MN will actually happen as well?).

Thank you for any insight on this, or needed actions on my part!

RDJ

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
candaceat
Expert Alumni

Hello,

Since you were able to get through to the IRS and they stated that your refund is processing there isn't much more you can do at this point. 

As far as Minnesota is concerned per the Minnesota Department of Revenue website they have started processing refunds this month. They have about 540,000 refunds to issue and expect to do 1000 per week, so it may take a while. The website also states that they sent letters to taxpayers that need to amend their state return. If you did not receive a letter then they will adjust the return and notify you when they are done. Here is the link to this article: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/tax-law-changes.

So it looks like you have done everything on your end and at this point you can wait to receive your refunds or further instructions. I hope this helps! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You don’t have to do anything. Processing is notoriously slow this year. 

candaceat
Expert Alumni

Hello,

Since you were able to get through to the IRS and they stated that your refund is processing there isn't much more you can do at this point. 

As far as Minnesota is concerned per the Minnesota Department of Revenue website they have started processing refunds this month. They have about 540,000 refunds to issue and expect to do 1000 per week, so it may take a while. The website also states that they sent letters to taxpayers that need to amend their state return. If you did not receive a letter then they will adjust the return and notify you when they are done. Here is the link to this article: https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/tax-law-changes.

So it looks like you have done everything on your end and at this point you can wait to receive your refunds or further instructions. I hope this helps! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies