Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Evaluate my federal taxs as to why I paid

Hello,

I would like to go over my withholdings and re evaluate as to why my federal withholdings were 3000$ less so therefore I owed that to the government? What changes can be made

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

Evaluate my federal taxs as to why I paid

There are different options available to evaluate your current tax position.   To start with, if you don't already have a copy, you can ask your employer for a copy of your current W-4 on file that they are using to calculate your withholding so you can see how you filled it out.   This will give you a vantage point of the current withholding.

You can use the information from your most current paystub and answer some basic questions for our TurboTax Withholding Calculator.

This will give you an idea of where you stand for this year as far as potential refund or tax due.  The tool will also indicate if additional withholding is needed for this year, how much is recommended, and the entries for various boxes on the W-4.

The IRS also provides manual worksheets you can fill out as part of the W-4.  These can be found here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Basically, if your earnings are on track to be the same as last year and you had a balance due, that amount due would need to be paid during the remaining pay periods of this year.  It can be indicated as a flat extra withholding amount on step 4(c) of the W-4 form.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies