Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Monetary gift count toward my yearly income?

I received $25K bonus gift that the giver already paid tax on. Will I have to report this as part of my income for next years taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You need to elaborate.

What were the circumstances surrounding the gift?

What do you mean by the term "bonus gift"? Was this in connection with employment or services rendered?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

In general, gifts are not taxable to the recipient as long as there is nothing given in return. The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Our company was sold to new owners and our previous owner distributed the profit of that sale to its employees. So it was considered a bonus gift

@EJNich1 wrote:

Our company was sold to new owners and our previous owner distributed the profit of that sale to its employees. So it was considered a bonus gift

Yes, that sounds like it would be fully taxable as compensation of sorts rather than an actual gift.

The funny thing is there is a case almost exactly on point with your scenario and with exactly the same dollar amount.

See https://irstaxtrouble.com/is-a-gift-to-a-former-employee-taxable/

Ok, even though the owner paid all the tax on it already? It was gross $38K, they paid taxes on it to get it to the net $25K that I received. I still have to consider it taxable income after all that?

@EJNich1 wrote:

Ok, even though the owner paid all the tax on it already? It was gross $38K, they paid taxes on it to get it to the net $25K that I received. I still have to consider it taxable income after all that?

Probably. Did you read the article and case at the link above? Almost the same fact pattern.

Also, everyone who gives a gift to another individual has already paid taxes on the amount given (i.e., there is really no such thing as a "pre-tax gift") and, importantly, this gift is being given by a former employer to former employees so a business relationship had already been established.

One more thing; you might want to (at the very least) wait until next year (February - March, 2025) and see if you get some sort of tax reporting statement, such as a 1099-MISC. If you do, then there is absolutely no question that you will have to report it as income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies