Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxpayer1234567
Returning Member

Do we include 1098-T for amount reimbursed by employer?

For university courses I took this year, I paid tuition to the school directly, and then after completing the course, submitted grades and receipts and was fully reimbursed for that by my employer's tuition reimbursement program. I have a 1098-T form showing I paid this amount to the school in 2023.

I'm not sure if the reimbursement that I received was considered taxable income, or how this is supposed to be accounted for.  

Should I enter this 1098-T amount into Turbo Tax?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Do we include 1098-T for amount reimbursed by employer?

You will enter the 1098-T into the system and take the deduction for the tuition paid.  You did pay it, after all, and you are entitled to all of the education credits that went with it.

Whether your tuition reimbursement is taxable to you or not is a trickier question.  It depends on how it was given to you and I recommend that you consult with your employer.  Most tuition reimbursement plans are fringe benefit programs and are not taxable to employees.  Some are reported on your W2 and you'll pay tax on them there.  Either way - if the payments are taxable then they will be reported to you in a way that makes that clear.

@taxpayer1234567 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies