Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disability & Inheritance

i'm disabled & get a small check from SSA each month. i understand that i can work "some" - to not earn more than aprox $1,000 each month in order to not jeopardize my disability.

i have a relative who passed away & left me a semi-sizable amount (has not been finalized yet). how do i deal with this & not put my disability insurance at risk??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Disability & Inheritance

thanks for your reply, but that link doesn't really answer the question. he just talks around it & tries to explain the differences between SSI & SSDI.

is this something i need to find a lawyer for?

i absolutely cannot loose my disability insurance. it's not like i'm better & get a job to get a regular paycheck. it's a one time gift.

thx.

Disability & Inheritance

If you receive an inheritance, personal injury settlement, or any sum of money, while on Social Security disability, what happens?

• If you're on SSDI only, nothing happens. This is because SSDI is not a needs-based program, meaning that you could have a million dollars in the bank or own any number of assets and you would still be entitled to your SSDI and your Medicare.

That's because you paid into the system while you were working. It's kind of like paying an insurance premium and now you're collecting your insurance policy – it doesn't matter how much money you have.

• However, if the disability you have is SSI, then receiving money will jeopardize those benefits.

Disability & Inheritance

ah. ok thank you

Disability & Inheritance

You are most welcome.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies