Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions

I operated an Airbnb out of my home that I occupy during 2023. Can I deduct expences (or a % of) such as homeowner's insurance, property tax, etc.?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions

Hello Amy Davidson!

The IRS allows you to deduct all expenses that are "ordinary and reasonable" for any business. The Airbnb is seen as a business and therefore, you can deduct all expenses related to running the Airbnb.

I hope this is helpful!

Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions

where is the entrance or data table for us to input the deductions?

I want to list my expenses for tools, insurances and other supplies.

KarriC
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions

You will enter all your rental property expenses on Schedule E (or possibly Schedule C, based on your business and services you provide).

Congratulations on your new rental business! Assuming this is the first time you've rented, you will need to set up your rental information, including gathering everything needed to determine correct depreciation of your home. It is very important to get this set up correctly!

Expenses for the entire home (like insurance, mortgage, property tax, and utilities) will be listed on your Schedule E by category, and a percentage of the total for the year will be considered expenses attributable to the rental. The percentage will be figured out when you set up the asset depreciation.

I am including links to information you may find helpful in understanding everything that happens when you rent your home.  

TurboTax - Rental Real Estate and Taxes

TurboTax - Rental Property Tax Tips

TurboTax - Depreciation Recapture: Definition, Calculation and Examples

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions

Thank you for the info of schedule E.

I think I maybe need the background data table while I was using in another state.

I already input my expense data for tools and donating contributions. It does not affect the main tax results any more. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies