Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Compiling and Mailing Federal REturn

My Federal Return has quite a number of forms.  How should I enclose it in the envelope with a paper clip or should I try to staple it as one big package (not sure if that will work) or use multiple stapes for each of the different folrms, etc..  I know that the W-2 for should be stapled to front page since it had tax taken out and that the 1040-V Payment voucher and check should just be on top of return and not attached any where. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Hello shebedo!

Please staple your forms in the upper left corner. Please see the following link on the process and compilation of the return to be mailed to the IRS.

How to assemble my tax return 

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

MAILING A TAX RETURN:

If you must mail your Tax Return, I will advise to staple information with its appropriate form. In addition, consider mailing your tax Returns with a proof of receipt service. Lastly, keep DUPLICATE of ALL the documents and forms that you are sending to the IRS. and/or any other Taxing Jurisdiction.

Having said the above, the IRS goal is to have ALL returns filed electronically, unless there is a justified exception not to.

In addition:
1. The IRS has a SERIOUS BACKLONG (6 months to a year) and will take a very long time to process a paper-filed Tax Return.

2. It is safer to make electronic payments , either using the tax software or directly on the IRS Website as compared to disclosing all your financial information through a check.

3.  It is safer to transmit electronically your Personal Identifying Information rather than send it through the mail.

4. When mailing your Tax Return, you may forget to include a form which could reset the clock in terms of your Tax Return being processed.

In summary, it is more beneficial and advisable, when possible, to File your Tax Returns Electronically rather than mailing them.

One last comment. There are some states whose e-file requirements are even more strict that that of the IRS. For example, NY State:

E-file requirement for individual taxpayers

Who must e-file

You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access.

E-file requirement for individual NY Taxpayers 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies