Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Car fleet

Personal taxes. I am filing married jointly, so between myself and spouse, can we have 8 cars and use standard mileage deduction? We co-own the cars. To still qualify for the rule, should we own 4 cars each and not co-own or does it matter?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jashley
Employee Tax Expert

Car fleet

If this is for a business, @Michele C is correct in that to take the standard mileage deduction for a business, you want to limit the amount of vehicles used in each activity to 5 and under.  That is the crux of the matter.  So, for example, you can use 5 for one operation and the other 3 for the other operation. 

This IRS article will also help in determining the difference between the standard mileage rate and the actual expenses so you can determine the best deduction.

If these are personal vehicles, the vehicle licensing fee paid for each personal vehicle can be deducted on Form 1040, Schedule A, Line 5c.

If you use your personal vehicle to incur medical transportation expenses for a child, nurse, or a patient who cannot travel alone, you can deduct the expenses of out-of-pocket costs for gas and oil.  Or you can take the standard mileage rate for medical costs of 22 cents per mile in 2023.  These expenses would be deducted on Form 1040, Schedule A, Line 1.

If you use your personal vehicle for volunteer work, you can deduct the charitable standard mileage rate of 14 cents per mile in 2023.  If you prefer, you can deduct the actual cost of gas and oil incurred while doing the charitable work.  Parking and tolls can be deducted here.  A written log showing the dates and miles driven for each organization is required. These expenses would be deducted on Form 1040, Schedule A, Line 11.

[Edited 6/3/2024|2:54pm PST]

@ponysoo 

Car fleet

@Michele Catlett 

There are two of us, myself and my spouse. An individual taxpayer can operate 4 cars using standard mileage deduction. When we file married jointly, does that mean we can operate 8 cars because there are two of us? Can we co-own all 8 cars? Or do we need to each own 4 cars? 

Car fleet

It is not a per person issue as much as per activity.  If you have multiple businesses/activities and keep the activity logs separate and limited to 5 vehicles being used concurrently in any one activity it should qualify.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies