Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss carryover

Under Investment Income section of TurboTax Desktop, the amount of the Capital Loss carryover for 2023 is confusing me.   I also used TurboTax Desktop last year (2022).

The investment income amount for 2022 is correctly reported as -0- and 2023 is correctly reporting the loss amount - $687. 
The Capital Loss Carryover is correctly reported as -0- for 2022, but incorrectly reports the 2023 carryover amount as -$688, instead of -$687. 
When opening the - $688 amount (link) the Capital Loss Carryover calculation / explanation is:

“This summary shows how your capital losses will be used to reduce your income this year.  It also shows any remaining loss that will be carried forward to next year:
Capital Loss Carryover from 2022:           0
Net Capital Loss in 2023:                   - $687
*Capital Loss Applied in 2023:          - $    1
Capital Loss Carried to 2024:             - $688 “

Questions:
- Why is Capital Loss Applied in 2023 reported as -$1.00 as no capital loss is seemingly to be applied?
- Why is Capital Loss Carried to 2024 greater than the Net Capital Loss in 2023?

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarriC
Employee Tax Expert

Capital Loss carryover

I believe this $1 showing in "Capital Loss Applied in 2023" to be a rounding adjustment. We round to the nearest dollar when doing our taxes, and sometimes we have a mismatch when this happens. 

Since your Capital Loss Carryover from 2022 was "0",  and your Net Capital Loss in 2023 is ($687), when we add the additional ($1) of Capital Loss for 2023 (rounding error), we arrive at a Capital Loss carryover to 2024 of ($688).

I also see you have an asterisk (*) next to the *Capital Loss Applied in 2023. I think there may be a link on the bottom of that page in TurboTax that will tell you what that asterisk signifies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Capital Loss carryover

Hello mikeyo1:

Please take a look at the following IRS link regarding capital losses: Topic no. 409, Capital gains and losses.

TurboTax appears to be rounding up the numbers you put in. This may be the reason for the $1.00 you are seeing in 2023. Please try to put in whole numbers only by doing the rounding yourself. This should give you a different outcome.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies