Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains and Dividends

If I am living off of capital gains, dividends and interest from a taxable brokerage account do I have to pay estimated taxes during the quarter I receive the money or can the tax payments be spread out evenly over each quarter?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

There are four quarterly due dates for estimated payments: April 15, June 15, September 15, January 15. If you choose to make one payment per quarter, it is timely as long as it is received on or before that date. You can also choose to make multiple payments, in which case all the payments you make between the previous payment date and the upcoming one count towards that quarter. 

For example, let's say you determined that you need to pay $2400 in estimated payments for the second quarter (due June 15). You could pay $2400 on June 15. That would satisfy your requirement. You could also pay $800 on April 20, $900 on May 3rd and $700 on May 27th. Those will give you a second quarter total of $2400. 

Just be sure to keep track of your payments as you will need to provide proof to the IRS in case there is a discrepancy between the amounts you report and the IRS' records. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm sorry I had a typo in my question. I was trying to ask if I have to make estimated tax payments during the quarter I realize the capital gains or receive the dividends or can I evenly spread them out over the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies