Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the added cost of my health insurance - purchased through my wife's employer plan?

Can I deduct my cost portion for health insurance? I have health insurance through my wife's employer. Her insurance cost is higher because I am on her plan. Can I deduct the adder, or the whole amount, or none? And does this deduction apply to health, dental, vision, any other? I am a sole proprietor of an LLC filing as an S-corp. My wife works for a large employer with health coverage benefits - I am the +1 in her "self + 1" health insurance through her plan.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ktran9
Employee Tax Expert

Can I deduct the added cost of my health insurance - purchased through my wife's employer plan?

You can take tax deductions as self-employed health insurance if you purchase health insurance in your own name or the business name.

Please refer to the IRS guidance below:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/s-corporation-compensation-and-medical...

If your health insurance is under your spouse's name and is paid by her employer, you are not eligible to deduct your spouse's health insurance premiums as a S-Corp health insurance deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies