Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculating Withholding With Graduate Tuition Benefit

In January this year, I began a graduate degree program at the same college where I work. The college offers a benefit of 90% tuition discount. Our costs are high, so the value of the benefit equates to ~$27k for the year.

I am afraid that this benefit is taxable and I'd like to know how much additional withholding I should be requesting to ensure that we are stuck with a big tax bill next year. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for the question.   So this is our starting point: Qualified Tuition Reduction 

This IRS resource starts here:

Free or reduced tuition provided by eligible educational institutions to its employees may be excludable from gross income as a qualified tuition reduction. Whether a tuition reduction is a “qualified” tuition reduction and excludable from income depends on whether it is for education below or at the graduate level and whether the tuition reduction represents payment for services. (Emphasis Added)

Based upon your fact pattern you are a current employee, but you are working on a graduate degree.  

Section 117 (d) of the Internal Revenue Code allows employees of certain educational institutions, including nonprofit universities and colleges, to exclude from taxable income qualified undergraduate tuition reductions they, or their dependents, receive from their employer.

A tuition reduction you receive for graduate education is qualified, and therefore tax free, if both of the following requirements are met.

• It is provided by an eligible educational institution.

• You are a graduate student who performs teaching or research activities for the educational institution.

If you do not meet the test above then you should adjust for the income that most likely will be paid on a 1099-MISC.   You would add this income in Part 4 (a). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chines2
Employee Tax Expert

Great question.  The threshold question here is really whether or not you are providing teaching or research activity-related services to the institution, since you are in a graduate-level program.  If you are, you may qualify for Qualified Tuition Reduction.  You can find more information about this benefit here.

Hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies