Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calculate the capital gain on the sale of a rental property

I have a home that my wife and I inherited from her father in 2011.  Her father purchased it in 1993 for $100k.  In 2010, her father upon the death of her mother, removed her mother and added my wife to the deed.  We have rented the property, along with two other properties since he passed away.  We have filed form 4562 for this property over the years.  For 2023, the entry on line 19b of form 4562 shows: 8600, 5, HY, 200 DB.

We now want to sell the property at a considerably high price,  approximately $450k.  How do I calculate and pay the capital gains to the IRS and the state of California?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanC6
Employee Tax Expert

The three items that will determine the gain or loss on the sale of rental property is the Adjusted Basis, Depreciation Taken to Date and the Selling Price.

The tax you pay after selling a rental property depends on your profit.  The IRS taxes the profit in two ways.  The first is a capital gains tax that is 0%, 15%, or 20%, depending on your taxable income and filing status.  The second is a maximum depreciation recapture tax of 25%.  

The adjusted basis of the property is the purchase price (or gift and Inherited FMV in your case) plus improvements less depreciation taken.

The Selling Price for tax purposes would be the Gross selling price less selling expenses such as commissions and other closing costs paid by the seller.

A simply examples follows:

$200,000  Net Selling Price

$100,000  Adjusted Basis (135,000 less 35,000 of depreciation)

$100,000  Gain

< 35,000> Depreciation recapture taxed at ordinary income tax rates

$ 65,000    Capital gain, taxed at capital gain tax rate of 0%, 15%, 20%

If you are using TurboTax, the program  will calculate the ordinary and capital gain on the sale of the rental.  You will need to follow the prompts in entering the sale information.  The sale information would be entered in the rental section of the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I determine the fair market value so that I align with the IRS and FTB of CA?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies