Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

C-Corporation Filing Questions

Hello,

So last year (or 2023) was the first year that my company was in business.  I made no sales during that time (and I reported the operational expenses as losses).  I reviewed what the rules around taxes in the past, and I need to confirm what the tax structure would be for California (in other words, how much would I have been taxed if any for that first year)?  

Also moving forward, in terms of expectations around the tax structure (how much would I be expected to be taxed) would be helpful.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

C-Corporation Filing Questions

A C-Corporation in California will pay both Federal and State tax on its net income. 

Federal tax on a C-Corp is generally a flat 21% tax rate. (21% of net income after expenses) Publication 542 (01/2024), Corporations | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

California State tax on a C-Corp is generally a flat 8.84% tax rate. (8.84% of net income after expenses) C corporations | FTB.ca.gov

In addition, there is a minimum franchise tax of $800 per year for any C-Corporation. First year corporations are exempt. This fee is due regardless of whether you have a gain or loss or any revenue at all.  C corporations | FTB.ca.gov

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies