Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

business + pleasure

I have a rental property under my personal name that i will be hoping to write off repairs and other expenses on my personal taxes : my LLC is focused on acquiring and wholesaling real estate but has not yet created any revenue however there has been substantial start up costs and expenses in regards to my LLC. how do i differentiate writing off expenses for the personal property under my name vs the LLC’s start up expenses?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

business + pleasure

The personal rental will be reported on a Schedule E.   Here's how to report it using TurboTax.    It sounds like the LLC is possibly flipping houses.  If this is the case, that will get reported on a Schedule C if it is a single member LLC and you didn't make an election to be taxed as a corporation.   

The start-up costs can be deducted when the business begins to operate.  If the costs are less than $50,000, you can deduct up to $5,000 and amortize the excess.

Here is a great resource for starting your business:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies