Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Expenses

I have a business where I sell a lot one year and nothing the next. But my expenses to promote take place every year, even those few years where I have no income. Can I deduct business expenses in those years when I have no income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

Business Expenses

Partnerships and Corporations MUST file a Tax Return even if there is no income.

If you a Sole Proprietor, Schedule C, you may benefit filing a Tax Return even though you had no income.

What is important is to show is that you were actually engaged in the business activity.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/entities/entities-4

OlgaS
Employee Tax Expert

Business Expenses

Yes, you can claim your eligible expenses when they occur to support your business, even if you do not have income that year. But you have to be careful, as if you will have losses in more than 2 out of 5 consecutive years - you business could be classified as a hobby. Of course, there are a lot of other factors that could classify your business as for profit, except income.

If your business claims a net loss for too many years, or fails to meet other requirements, the IRS may classify it as a hobby, which would prevent you from claiming a loss related to the business. If the IRS classifies your business as a hobby, you'll have to prove that you had a valid profit motive if you want to claim those deductions.

Please see useful link:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/know-the-difference-between-a-hobby-and-a-business

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies