Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BlockFi Bankruptcy

My husband and I are both had accounts with BlockFi.  They are only going to return the money with the bit coin value when they freeze our account (which is not even the half of the money we invested.). We are still not getting back the money they said they would.  Which source do I need to use to write off our loss ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RSUMan
Employee Tax Expert

BlockFi Bankruptcy

A cash basis taxpayer recognizes a capital loss when the loss is realized.

For example, the bankruptcy is final and you get $10,000 for your account under the terms of the bankruptcy plan.

Assuming you can show that you invested $50,000 into the BlockFi account, you have a $40,000 total loss.

How much of that loss is short term and how much is long term depends on when the investments were

made.

@kaoichmizyuki  A further clarification:

You can only write off a loss once the bankruptcy plan is final.

Your post indicates that the only money you will receive is related to Bitcoin that was in your account.  Once the bankruptcy is final and you receive a sum of money, you will then have a gain or loss based on your basis in the Bitcoin that was in the account at the time of the bankruptcy filing.

The IRS takes the position that you cannot write off the loss associated with the other crypto coins that were deemed worthless or unrecoverable in the bankruptcy proceeding.

If you had any earnings from the crypto positions prior to the bankruptcy filing and freezing of the account, that income does need to be reported on your tax return.

Edited 5/28/2024 2:23 pm PST

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies