Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shaunone1

audit letter from NY State regarding 414h

I received a statement of audit letter from NY state stating that I did not report the correct amount of retirement contributions(414h) to a flexible benefits program. They are charging me 20% interest on top of what they say I owe.. Is this correct? Is there a way to rebut this letter to avoid paying the interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
shaunone1

I don't understand how the interest is calculated. Its not even 10 days past April 15th. I will pay what I owe immediately. Why are they charging me interest?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

NYS is charging interest on tax that was not paid on or before the due date of your return. To calculate the correct amount of your interest and penalties, you can use the Penalty and Interest Calculator

Per New York State, if the tax you report on your return is less than the correct tax by more than 10% or $2,000, whichever is greater, you may have to pay a penalty.

The penalty charge is:

• 10% of the difference between the tax you reported and the tax you actually owe

If you disagree with the notice, you can respond to your bill or notice online or call the number listed on your notice and speak with a representative. You may attempt to request penalty abatement, but in most cases interest may not be waived.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies