Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending previous State Tax Return

I got a tax notice that my 2022 Federal Tax Return was incorrect and want to know how to amend my 2022 WI return as the Federal Return is already done. And when I amend the State Tax Return how do I figure out the interest or penalty.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

If you did your 2022 taxes yourself using TurboTax Online and you amended your federal return already, the change will automatically be transferred to your state tax return.

You can go back into the amended federal return and click on amend the state - and follow the steps...

Another option is to do your amendment online with Wisconsn.

You will have to mail in your Wisconsin amended return - the address is included in the above link.

Thanks for joining our Event today!

Thank you for your response. Wanted to clarify that I did not amend the return. The Federal IRS sent me a notice that I did not need to do an amended return if I agreed to the notice and I paid the fine and taxes. So, the Fed return is not amended in TurboTax but the WI one needs to be.

LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Thanks for clarifying, bshufelt.

In order to amend your Wisconsin return, you would also have to amend your federal return because that corrected information flows from the federal to the state in the TurboTax.

Your easiest course of action at this point is to amend the Wisconsin tax return on their website: 

Individual Income Tax - Amended Returns

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies