Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Always had multiple jobs and W2s And never had to owe in on taxes

So I've always had at least 2 or plus jobs multiple jobs And and therefore multiple w two's when it came to tax time,  But for some reason I had to owe in When I did my 2022 taxes. I did some research and noticed that on my paste ups from all of my jobs that there is not enough federal taxes coming out of my pasystubs each check. Sometimes there will be $0 taken out of my federal line and then sometimes there will be a low dollar amount taken out And then other times the federal line protectors on my paystub is just missing completely like the word federal is not even there at all the line is just missing altogether. So since there is not enough taxes being taken out of my checks that is the reason why I had to owe in on 2022 and also 2023.... I am wondering why this is going on

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for the question.   I am making a number of assumptions in addressing your question here, especially as it goes over two tax years.  The largest assumption is that some of the $0 Federal tax withheld W-2s had modest wages in Box 1 of the W-2.  The cumulative impact of multiple W-2s during a tax year with modest wages can result in multiple W-2s having little to no tax withholding.   Since all the W-2s then flow into adjusted gross income, taxable income, and then income tax the result can be that there is tax due but there is not enough withholding to cover the tax.

I would suggest that with two or more W-2s during the tax year you make all the adjustments on the W-4 for the highest paying job, if more than one is worked at the same time, or if they are consecutive, make the adjustments on the current W-4.  

Remember to use these Turbo tax resources:

TurboTax's W-4 Calculator

TurboTax's Tax Caster tax calculator

Be well and safe @Tiffanyh87 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But why do I have checks/paystubs that have $0 federal taxes coming out.  And then also sometimes the federal line is disappeared and not even on there?

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Zero withholding on any given paycheck or on the W-2 itself is a function of the earning for the pay period or for the year.   I made the assumption that the earnings were quite modest above that sometimes leads to $0 or very little Federal income tax withheld. 

I have no context to address the last part of your question.  I would suggest you ask the employer for why the paystub is presented in this way @Tiffanyh87 

No the check is a good amount of money amount. And its happening at 2 different jobs. Not just 1 employer but 2 different.  My employer has clarified that they are not doing anything different or doing anything to it. They don't have control over that.  

Its happening on the pay check itself. 

KarenL
Expert Alumni

Just to reiterate what marctu stated above, only an employer's payroll service would know why there is $0 federal withholding on a paycheck.  And his suggestion of using the W-4 calculator will help you determine how much taxes should be withheld, and how to fill out a new W-4 Form to correct the issue, as needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies