Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sknayar

Advice on separating income

Hi,

I work full time for a company and I also have some investments.  One such investment is through a firm from which I receive schedule K1. I also have a mobile home which is managed by a management firm and I receive payments on promissory note. Should I be creating an LLC with all these investments in it to separate out taxes and provide the ability to expense management fees and such. I have been including all these incomes(not adding up to a lot) in my personal tax returns. Is there a benefit in creating an LLC and maintaining it for the investments I have. If so, how do I go about it? Thank you for taking time to answer my question.

Sincerely,

Satheesan Nayar

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Creating a single member LLC (in other words, one which is 100% owned by you) does not impact your tax situation in any way. A single member LLC is by default considered a "disregarded entity", meaning that for tax purposes, you treat the income in the same way as if the LLC did not exist. 

An LLC with one owner can elect to be taxed as a corporation, but this is generally not optimal for an entity that holds passive investments. This would also require you to spend the time and money to file an additional tax return for the corporation every year in addition to your personal tax return. 

If you are paying management fees for your mobile home these can be expensed on Schedule E on your personal tax return. It is not necessary to create an LLC for this purpose. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Creating a single member LLC (in other words, one which is 100% owned by you) does not impact your tax situation in any way. A single member LLC is by default considered a "disregarded entity", meaning that for tax purposes, you treat the income in the same way as if the LLC did not exist. 

An LLC with one owner can elect to be taxed as a corporation, but this is generally not optimal for an entity that holds passive investments. This would also require you to spend the time and money to file an additional tax return for the corporation every year in addition to your personal tax return. 

If you are paying management fees for your mobile home these can be expensed on Schedule E on your personal tax return. It is not necessary to create an LLC for this purpose. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies