Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2c(2jobs)

Single, no exemptions, no dependents; 2 jobs: 

hypothetical: 

job A: 80k

job B: 20k

refund not important: not owing is 

standard deduction 

can I just mark 2c and have the maximum taxes taken from both jobs? explain splitting the standard deduction? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

2c(2jobs)

Thank you for the question.  So going with your bias of now owing, checking Step 2 (c) would certainly accomplish what you want do accomplish of not owing and the refund not being important.  Since using Step 2 (b) is more accurate, I would encourage you to the tables though. 

Using your hypothetical, you would take that number, which according to the 2024 tables is $4,870 and then divide by the number of pay periods.   The resulting number would then be entered into Step 4 (c).

Splitting the standard deduction is not a term I am familiar with.  Splitting itemized deductions is, and it is associated with Married filing separately tax returns.   The General rule which is that each spouse should report only their own income, deductions, and credits on their individual return. For expenses that both spouses pay for, such as mortgage interest and taxes, the deductions can be divided according to each spouse's separate ownership interests. Other expenses can be divided in any agreed-upon manner, as long as the total deduction claimed adds up to 100%. However, both spouses must use the same method of claiming deductions: either both must itemize, or both must take the standard deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2c(2jobs)

Thank you.  And thank your team for doing this !  I am sooooo happy to get more understanding of this simple but complex form. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies