Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 taxes not yet filed due to illness as I was finishing and first year to include social security, still full time working

Hi nearly finished my taxes for 2023 using Turbotax so everything is in the system, but then ran into issues with social security (2023 was the first year I received SS. And we have 2 children under 21 (twins) and get extra for them. Nearly finished in time, but then had medical issues and ended up getting a new hip. Now recovering well and able to finish (still working full time), would appreciate some help to ensure I get it right, and hopefully will not need to pay penalties and interest.

Thank you

steve

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

2023 taxes not yet filed due to illness as I was finishing and first year to include social security, still full time working

Hi SteveandMochaZ!

If you filed an extension, you have until October 15, 2024 to file and be considered “on time.”  If you started your tax return in TurboTax, it will be waiting for you to finish up when you log in. 

You mentioned that 2023 was the first year you’re collecting Social Security.  You should have received a Form SSA 1099 that reports the benefits received and any Federal taxes withheld.  Be sure to enter that information in TurboTax in the Wages and Income section.

As long as you filed an extension, you won’t owe late filing penalties.  Remember, the extension is an extension to file, but not an extension to pay.  If you have a refund when you finish the return, you shouldn't owe any late payment penalties.  If the return shows a balance due, the IRS will charge late payment penalties of 0.5% per month.

Thanks for participating in our Ask the Expert Event! 

Kimberly, CPA for over 30 years

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

Hi SteveandMochaZ!

If you filed an extension, you have until October 15, 2024 to file and be considered “on time.”  If you started your tax return in TurboTax, it will be waiting for you to finish up when you log in. 

You mentioned that 2023 was the first year you’re collecting Social Security.  You should have received a Form SSA 1099 that reports the benefits received and any Federal taxes withheld.  Be sure to enter that information in TurboTax in the Wages and Income section.

As long as you filed an extension, you won’t owe late filing penalties.  Remember, the extension is an extension to file, but not an extension to pay.  If you have a refund when you finish the return, you shouldn't owe any late payment penalties.  If the return shows a balance due, the IRS will charge late payment penalties of 0.5% per month.

Thanks for participating in our Ask the Expert Event! 

Kimberly, CPA for over 30 years

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Kimberly,

have the SSA 1099,  I'll just slog away at finishing it this weekend or next week.

Many thanks

steve

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies