Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

John5156

1120 S Corp

I closed my business a few years ago and once a year I receive a payment from the corporation I sold it to for the sale of my clients for the next 10 years. I am not in business selling or nor do I have employees so my question is on the 1120 S tax form it ask if the business has closed, and if so, what year. Should I say I am closed since I sold my client list and the accounts or I am active since I am receiving my payout from selling and I am writing off business expenses to offset the income? 

Rj

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dsoile
Employee Tax Expert

1120 S Corp

Hello John 5156

Here is a link about reporting installment sales on your Form 1040

Installment Sale Reporting

Asset Acquisition Statement

Also, regarding the closure of your S-Corp. The final return should have been filed either 10 years ago or on the tax year in which you sold your business

I hope this helps @John5156 

Based on what you mentioned and the details provided, since you closed the business via selling the business to another entity, yet still receive payouts from the business as well as you mentioning that you are not active in either the business you sold nor are you active in the entity that  bought out your business, yet are receiving payout from this entity, you would be considered passive as far as activity type, thus your income from this entity will be passive, and in order to reduce passive income, you need passive losses. 

You would say that your business is closed, and provide the reason for closure of the business.  In this case it would be the client lists and accounts you included in the sale of your business .You will indicate the year of business close in the year you sold your business.

[Edited 6/5/2024|8:06am PST]

@John5156 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies