Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhauze
Returning Member

I recently retired and have a contract to consult with my old employer.  I will earn more than $1,000.  What website do I use to file my SS and Medicare along with my contribution as an independent contractor (employer) and a federal estimate?  I just started as a consultant this month how often do I need to file?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Dhauze!

Congratulations on your retirement!

I will assume that your duties and responsibilities as a 1099 contractor are different from when you were a W-2 employee and assume that your former employer is not misclassifying you as a contractor when you should continue as a W-2 employee.

Since you will receive a 1099 for your compensation, you are considered self-employed.  Your income (less any expenses) is reported on Schedule C on your personal tax return. 

The tax on your Form 1040 will include both your income taxes AND self-employment taxes, which cover  social security and Medicare taxes.  There is no separate form - just your annual tax return.   Self employment tax is 15.3%, which is double the rate that employees have deducted from their paychecks.  This is because the self-employed person pays both halves of the tax.  For W-2 employees, the employer pays the other half.

You will want to make quarterly estimated payments for the income tax and self-employment tax associated with your consulting work.  The next due date is 9/15/2024 for income through 8/31.  The 4th payment is due 1/15/2025. 

You can make the estimated tax payments on the IRS website at www.irs.gov/payments.

You'll want to aim to have paid in either 90% of the 2024 tax liability or 100% of your 2023 tax liability.  

Here's a guide to paying estimated taxes: A Guide to Paying Quarterly Taxes

Thanks for participating in TurboTax's Ask the Expert event today.  I hope this information was helpful!

Sincerely,

Kimberly, CPA for over 30 years

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies