If anyone in your household didn't have health insurance in 2018 and has an exemption number (ECN), follow these steps:
- Select the Take me to my return button (or continue your return if using a CD/download version).
- Select Federal from the main menu on the left (Federal Taxes or Personal if using CD/download version) then select Health Insurance.
- When asked if you had health insurance in 2018, select the option that applies to you, and Continue.
- If you had insurance part of the year, select the months you had insurance and Continue.
- On the Did you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for an exemption, and select Got an exemption certificate number from the Marketplace and Continue.
- On the Let's get your exemption certificate number (ECN) screen, enter the requested exemption information and Continue.