Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jh86243111
Returning Member

S-Corp 2% Health Insurance premium deduction

My S-corp reimbursed me for health insurance premiums on my w-2. According to IRS website I am allowed to deduct these premiums on my 1040, notice 2008-1 Special rules for health insurance costs of 2% shareholder employee. The automated process is not adding this to the new schedule 1 as it should. How can I add the deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

See if this link helps.  Where do I enter my S-Corp Health Insurance?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SA56

I had the same problem, even after entering the premium where indicated within the K-1 portion of the software.  unfortunately, the number does not show on line 29; it is showing up in the medical expense deductions as if I were itemizing.  I am an S-corp owner; premiums are reported as wages.  Have other new tax law changes affected the reporting of this self-employed health insurance premium deduction? 

Run the "Federal Review" - you may see an error that asks amount Attributable to this trade or business, which applies to Foreign Earned Income Exclusion income.

Be sure to enter zero here.

jh86243111
Returning Member

Hi, Not sure if this will help but....I buy my insurance directly through a insurance provider (blue cross). Per Turbotax instructions I selected NO to having a marketplace policy in the Health Insurance section. After exhausting all options I decided to change the answer to yes. This triggered the program to bring up my k-1 and asked me to enter in my gross wages and medicare wages (difference is the HI deduction amount). After that it inserted the deduction in line 29 as it should have. When I changed the marketplace policy answer back to NO it keep all the calculations correct and the deduction on line 29. I am convinced there is a glitch/flaw in the program. Hopefully TT will look at this. I hope this is helpful information to you. Good luck.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

@jh86243111 Thank you for the feedback.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies