Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Straightllove69
Returning Member

Yes I want to apply for one or two small ones to start building credit

I have a 706 score but I owe $26,000 in medical bills

So my question is should I claim bankruptcy to pay off medical bills cuz I have no debt and no assets but I wanted to build credit so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Yes I want to apply for one or two small ones to start building credit

If you discharge your medical expenses by bankruptcy, that will put a negative mark on your credit report for seven years that will have way more downside impact on your score  than the upside of getting a small credit card or two.

You have to decide what’s more important. If you want to be free of this debt so you can start saving cash for the future, then take the bankruptcy. You won’t qualify for a mortgage for 5-7 years, and that will give you plenty of time to save a down payment.  If you want a good credit score so that you can borrow more money in the near future at lower interest rates, then you should work as hard as you can to pay off your medical debts.  If you get a small credit card account in the meantime for regular purchases, that will help you in the long run as long as you pay the balance in full every month.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies