Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dsonb

Should I pay debt or get credit card too raise credit score?

So I got about 6000$ of personal loan dept and items I've purchased and never paid off. My credit history is only about a year old with about 7 accounts open. I'm looking too buy a home in the next few months and my question is should I get a secured credit card too raise my score or pay off my debt. My credit score is about 460. I'm currently in a position too save money living at in-laws house and have about $2000 saved. A family member is trying too sell me a nice home for a very very very good deal, but I need too act fast. If I pay off my debt I'll be debt free but might be lose my opportunity and also be stuck here longer. If I get the card I see myself saving even more money and successfully keeping up with the card. I just don't know what path too take. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I pay debt or get credit card too raise credit score?

The only way you’re going to buy a home with basically no money down and a credit score that low is if the seller holds the mortgage. Would your relative hold the mortgage? Your relative would charge you interest just like a bank and you would pay your relative every month instead of the bank.  Otherwise, you should probably see a real estate agent or an independent mortgage broker about your financial situation to see what programs are available. There may be low income or first time homebuyer programs in your state that have relaxed requirements for credit score or down payment.

What you need most to improve your credit score is to make on-time payments. Getting a new credit card will not help as much in the short run as making sure that you are paying your other loans as agreed—That means that you make each payment on time and that you are not behind.  If you added a credit card to the mix and also paid it on time, that will eventually improve your score, especially if you don’t use your available credit. For example, if you have a $1000 credit limit, never charge more than $100 a month and always pay in full.  However, getting a new credit card on top of your existing debt will drop your score at first, so it would not be a quick fix.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies