turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

Im trying to purchase a home within the next year and my score is at a 624. What tips or ideas can i get to raise my score and possibly have a better chance at a home finance.

1) Get your CCS and Loans down to zero.
2) Can't get em down to zero get em down to 29% utilization or lower.
3) If you have Collections, pay them off.
Mortgage Underwriters WILL go over every penny you owe. Means, the more you owe other people the LESS you have for your mortgage payment.
Lastly, forget about the score. The data the bank sees when considering your app you will never see it. Besides, you'll already know what they're looking at because these are accounts you've paid in full.
smian1984

Hi

You already answered your question in the first line of your question..."have been doing this for long time and it seems do take for ever."
Without increasing your income the only way you are gonna pay it off is over time. Creditors want to see your history. Yes, history is subjective and no one absolutely no one can nail down the answer to the question "how long should my credit history be."

Way to improve is get a good credit mix:
1) Bank Cards (Visa, MC, AmEx)
2) Retail Cards (Target, JCPenney, Macys)
3) Installment Loans (Car, Mortgage, Personal)
Lastly, pay all of the above ON TIME EVERYTIME! One payment 30 days are more late will be put on the "Risk Factors" section your report for 3+ years! I know from experience! Forgot a car payment in Feb 2015 and it's been on my report for 3 yrs 9 mos.

Do you want the points or the money you were paying in interest? Smart man told me, do you wanna pay $12K/yr mortgage, of which $4000 is interest so you can get a tax deduction on the $4000? Why not keep the $12,000 in your pocket from the jump?

Why do you want to raise your score?
New

1) Get a 1000$ loan from selflender.com
2) Open a small store card (same as cash? example a furniture / mattress store) make sure they report your loan.
3) open a secure/unsecure credit card
Setup auto pay - minmum to all of the above.
Remember the key is to keep your balance below 10% of your limits, inreference to store credit card, if you were planning to pay cash for the thing get the card anyway then pay online 90% of your bill in one installment. Rest 10% spread out your period. Otherwise the credit score formula looks at the store card as 100% usage of your credit limit.
In 3 to 6 months your score will improve dramatically if you don't do anything else.
Dental76

How to raise my credit score

Bring Bank and Retail Card balances UNDER 29% utilization (Balance divided by Credit Limit), stop applying for new credit. Primary thing is to manage what you have. First question should be why do you want to raise your score?
Scores are NOT the only indicator of your credit worthiness.
WillieB57

How to raise my credit score
Wolf
Level 1

Most of that is just not true.

1. You can absolutely pay the full balance, as long as you pay it AFTER your statement closing date. The important thing is to have a balance on your statement, because that’s what goes on your credit report and affects your score.

2. Having a higher credit limit will never lower your score. USING more of your credit is what will lower your score. In general, you want to keep your credit utilization below 30%, but ideally, you want to keep it below 10%. (Credit utilization = 100 times statement balance divided by credit limit.) The interesting thing about this is that it won’t affect your score in the long term; the month after you pay down a large balance, your credit score will go back up.

3. Opening a lot of credit cards is fine, but don’t do it all at once. Ideally, don’t open more than 1 or 2 credit accounts per year.

4. You can arbitrarily close newer accounts. That will actually raise your score. Closing older accounts will lower your score.

5. There’s no reason to ever lower your credit limit. If you have a card you don’t use - use it. In fact, if you don’t use a card for a while, sometimes the issuer will close your account automatically. But having a zero balance does nothing for your score. Even autopaying a utility bill or a magazine subscription on a card and paying off the card every month will help you build credit. If you have a card, use it at least once a month.
MzBoss317

I use self lender it helps dramatically you pay yourself and fix credit at the same time also secure credit cards help boost when you keep balance low which is tempting in itself. Im attaching link for self lender
https://www.selflender.com/refer/10781979
Tonyay84

Can you go into more detail on how this works. Sorry I don't understand interest and taxes

TonyaY, email me at [email removed]. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies