Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to improve my credit score

Does making a plan to make monthly bill payments improve my credit score? And what are other ways to improve it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

3 Replies

There are resources you can check out right here in this Community (and plenty by merely doing a general internet search).

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credit-score/discussion/how-to-raise-your-credit-score/01/187#M1

See also https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credit-score/discussion/how-to-raise-your-credit-score/00/329

@Kitten2021 wrote:

Does making a plan to make monthly bill payments improve my credit score? And what are other ways to improve it?

Roughly how bad is your score and how much score do you need?  For example, is your score 600 but a lender is saying you need 700?

@Kitten2021 wrote:

The credit bureau only know what is reported to it by the lender.  "Pays as agreed" is a favorable report.  If you have an agreement with the lender and they report you as "pays as agreed" that should be helpful or at least won't hurt you.  However, if the lender reports you are behind in your payments, that will be harmful.  If you were behind in your payments in the past and now pay on time, the old bad marks stay on your report for 7 years even though "pays on time" is also being reported for your current payments.  As the bad marks get farther into the past, your score should gradually improve.

There is no magic trick to jump your score, no matter what hucksters and "Credit repair" companies say.   True information (good or bad) will stay on your report 7 years.  You can check your full credit reports at www.annualcreditreport.com and if anything is false or inaccurate, you can appeal to have it removed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies