Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My credit is poor, can i still get a credit card?

My credit score is like 560 because my identity was stolen several years ago, so my question is..... can i even get a credit card?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It depends on the credit card company whether they would issue you a credit card.  The following has information on how to get a credit card with poor credit.

Best Credit Cards for Bad Credit of 2021:

https://wallethub.com/credit-cards/bad-credit/

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It depends on the credit card company whether they would issue you a credit card.  The following has information on how to get a credit card with poor credit.

Best Credit Cards for Bad Credit of 2021:

https://wallethub.com/credit-cards/bad-credit/

Hopefully you were able to get it straightened out with the 3 major credit bureaus?

My answers to your question, unfortunately, are not the most optimal situations, but there is SOME bit of hope. This is based on my OWN personal experiences, because much like you, my credit is/was shot, though the issue in my situation was past due child support which I got behind on for a plethora of reasons. Past due Child Support can and WILL DESTROY your credit ! Anyways, I do feel your pain from standpoint of the frustration with no one willing to offer you a credit line. There are these awful secured credit cards, but they are such a rip-off they should be illegal. Try these two things: 1. Fingerhut. You can only get credit for and purchase what they sell which are RIDICULOUSLY ABSURDLY HIGH MARK UP PRICES , but they do have a credit program in which they give "second chances" and work with people giving them a credit line so as to try to rebuild/reestablish their credit.  They'll probably start you with a $300 credit line, but just be diligent and timely about making your payments. If you can afford to pay MORE than the monthly minimum due, do it! After a few months if you are keeping your account squared away and paid up, they will increase your credit line. They started me at $300 c.l. after about 3 months of paying on time, sometimes early, more than minimum due, they increased my c.l. to $600. Go to Fingerhut.com       2. The other helpful thing is open a PayPal account if you do not already have one. Ofttimes when you make purchases in which you can pay via PayPal, they will frequently offer a new thing they started doing called "Pay in 4" You can purchase something, and get it split into 4 payments, each payment due every weeks. Note: This is NOT the same as "PayPal Credit", you can try to apply for but probably won't get approved right away. The Pay in 4 is subject to a miniaturized, scaled down credit check, I've gotten authorized 2/2 purchases, so I'm sure you will have no trouble getting approved. So it's similar in idea to credit, but there again, you can help yourself rebuild/ reestablish your credit, just make certain that there will be enough money in your bank account to cover each payment ON  the days they're DUE. Anyways, I hope that helps ya out some! Best of luck to ya, and please be safe out there!😉

Best,

Kyle

Panda0509
Returning Member

There's actually a few different options you can go with when applying for a credit card with a poor score.  Credit companies are going to be focused mainly on credit history,  so like how long you've had an item account. The longer the better. They will also look at payment history on any open accounts to see how likely you are to pay back the debt and also how many inquiries have been made within a 12 month period. Credit companies frown on alot of inquiries because it makes them think an individual is not able to budget their money aj and therefore sell be less likely to pay back on their debts.  Nerdwallet.com is a highly rated site to check and see what kind of credit card you suitor be eligible for and any Austin's you may have about them.  You can try wallethub as well which is another great site

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies