Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Increasing Credit Limit - Good or Bad?

Hello,

I recently saw my credit score decrease ever so slightly due to my increased "usage" - calculated as a percentage of my credit limit. I was interesting in increasing this limit (assuming that I would qualify), but was wondering what the impact of this would be on my credit score (whether it be good or bad). Also, how much of an increase should I request (should I just do the max I'm eligible for or is there another formula that can be used)? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Although a credit limit increase is generally good for your creditrequesting one could temporarily ding your score. That's because credit card issuers will sometimes perform a hard pull on your credit to verify you meet their standards for the higher limit.

For more information, see the following:

How to Increase Your Credit Limit (Without Harming Your Score)

https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-increase-your-credit-limit-without-harming-your-score...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Although a credit limit increase is generally good for your creditrequesting one could temporarily ding your score. That's because credit card issuers will sometimes perform a hard pull on your credit to verify you meet their standards for the higher limit.

For more information, see the following:

How to Increase Your Credit Limit (Without Harming Your Score)

https://creditcards.usnews.com/articles/how-to-increase-your-credit-limit-without-harming-your-score...

I agree with @bluedeb, but I generally think credit score is unimportant. The important thing is get to a position where you have enough assets collateralizing any debts, if you have debts at all, that the credit score doesn't matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies