Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Featured Discussion: Have you ever needed to freeze your credit?

@Sethp2320  wrote:

ok so im not sure if or how but i think my credit has been frozen  and i dont know how that happen how do u get it un frozen?

A credit "freeze" means that the credit bureau won't answer requests from lenders about your credit.  This means that most lenders won't give you credit since they can't verify you.  (Won't approve new loans, mortgages, and so on.)  A freeze is something you do yourself to stop other people from opening fraudulent accounts in your name via identity theft.  

To "freeze" your own credit report is a procedure governed by federal law.  You have to contact the credit bureau, provide certain information, and they give you certain information including a special code to unfreeze your account.  If you froze your credit report and did not save the information, you will have to call the credit bureaus and see what alternative procedures they offer to unfreeze your account.

If you are unable to obtain credit, that may not be a "freeze" as we mean the word, especially if you never placed a freeze. You may have other problems (real or mistakes) that prevent you from getting credit.  Again, you can call the credit bureaus to see what they can tell you. 

well mine has been frozen but i had no idea until something came up and they was running my credit and couldnt do it so it kinda hurt me because i knew nothing of it and i d9nt know who i did it with so if u could help me with how to un freeze  the account thay would be useful information for me

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There are 3 credit agencies so you will want to contact them all to find out what is happening. This article has the links and more information to help you, How Long Does It Take to Unfreeze Your Credit? - The Balance.

@Sethp2320

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Sethp2320  wrote:

well mine has been frozen but i had no idea until something came up and they was running my credit and couldnt do it so it kinda hurt me because i knew nothing of it and i d9nt know who i did it with so if u could help me with how to un freeze  the account thay would be useful information for me

I don't believe anyone but you can freeze your credit report.  Freezing your credit report requires verification of your identity that should be difficult for someone who is not you.  (Unless it was your parents when you were a minor.)  If you did not do this yourself (at some time in the past) you will have to contact the credit bureaus and ask for their help.  As stated, there are three credit bureaus you will have to work with. 

Equifax

• By phone: Call 888-298-0045.

Experian

• By phone: Call 888-397-3742.4

TransUnion

• By phone: Call 888-909-8872.
raxler

Technically you freeze your credit, not your credit score.  Your credit score might still change based on the usual factors, but no credit bureau will respond to someone trying to utilize your credit 

JD-Hawki
Returning Member

I froze my credit score about 14 years ago and have different times since then been alerted that someone had  tried to access my credit. I had it stolen back in  08 and it was not fun. Take it from me going through that is a real hassle and nothing even close to what is involved in the freezing and thawing process. 

lisafar4
Returning Member

As an AI language model, I don't have a personal credit history or the ability to freeze my credit. However, if you need to freeze your credit, visit the website of a major credit bureau for instructions on how to do so.

Regards: beyblade x series 4 bey starter pack

Thank you! This was very helpful.

"Has anyone ever freezed their credit score? "  er frozen maybe.

catsarecute
Returning Member

I just froze my credit for the first time. This is good to know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies