Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Extraordinary Event

We were hit by illegal with no insurance. Injuries sustained in accident disabled husband/lost job/health insurance and ability to earn.  We kept up as long as possible. With multiple surgeries our savings & retirement depleted.  We had no choice but to stop paying on credit cards and now have some unpaid medical bills. Can our credit report be coded some way under the circumstances? I tried to buy cheapest car on lot and was declined due to credit score.  We have enough issues without this being held against us to.  HELP 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Extraordinary Event

Basically, as it stands now, and if I understand your post correctly, your credit is already destroyed to the point that making your credit score worse (if that's even possible) won't change anything. So stop paying all the bills except those needed for survival. (Food, clothing, shelter). If feasible, I'd stop paying any outstanding medical bills too.

Next, you need to look into applying for SSDI, welfare and anything else out there. I would also suggest you consult with an attorney to explore the bankruptcy option. That means if you own your house, you will most likely lose it and will have to rent. But since we can't say for sure, that's why you consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies