Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit utilization

So I am looking at getting a new vehicle but when I look at my credit report using discover’s fico scorecard or credit wise they both reflect that I have a high credit utilization because a credit card that I have paid off has a balance on it. My question is, is there a way to update the balances to what they currently are without waiting for each company to send their stuff into the credit places? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Credit utilization

No, you can’t do anything to get the lender to update the credit bureau more frequently. You could always call and ask but there is nothing that I know of that would require them to change their procedure.

Also, the FICO score that you can see on your Discover account is not updated very often.  My score is showing that it was last updated 35 days ago. So a lender might get a more updated score than Discover is showing you. If you get your Credit report directly from each of the three bureaus, you can get an up to the minute indication of whether the balance has been updated with them.  Each of the three credit bureaus has a way to get at least some information from them for free by logging into their website. They will try to charge you for upgraded memberships with additional services but you don’t need these. You can also get a free full credit report for each agency at www.annualcreditreport.com.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies